What is Freediving?
Freediving is the incredible and pioneering sport of holding your breath whilst diving underwater. Most people who have spent time in and around water in their lives have already been freediving - seeing who can swim the furthest underwater on one breath in a swimming pool, or diving down to get a closer look at the fascinating marine life and scenery when snorkelling.
Freediving is one of the world's fastest growing sports, with many people now looking for unspoilt vacation and dive spots, travelling with less equipment, and looking for new challenges. Learning how to freedive safely and effectively will not only provide you with endless enjoyment, but learning that it is possible hold your breath for an extended time, may just change your life on many levels!
The Benefits for SCUBA diving
Freediving will enable you to:
- Achieve longer dive times, using your air more efficiently
- Overcome and avoid equalisation issues
- Achieve better buoyancy control using your lungs
- Be a safer and more confident SCUBA diver
- Gain increased control over your dives
We Freedive offer courses for the absolute beginner all the way up to specialised and personalised training. Our courses are conducted to fully comply with the standards of the International Association for the Development of Apnea (AIDA)
AIDA1 - Introductory Course
The AIDA1 Freediving Course takes place over one day and is for the complete beginner - anyone who wishes to know what freediving is, and to learn the very basics. It is aimed to develop elementary freediving skills, knowledge and safety procedures, giving you an insight into the fascinating world of freediving. Taking the AIDA1 is likely to make you a more relaxed snorkeller and might just help make your SCUBA dives a little longer and more enjoyable.
Duration: 1.0 day
Price: 3,000 THB
AIDA2 - Beginner's Foundation Course
The AIDA2 is 3-day foundation course which includes two theory sessions, one confined water session and three open water sessions. It is designed to be a freediving beginners course for students who are already confident and happy in the water. This course develops the student's knowledge, skills and safety as well as introducing the sport of freediving with some of the freediving disciplines: Static Apnea (STA), Dynamic Apnea (DYN), Free Immersion (FIM) and Constant Weight (CWT)
Duration: 3.0 days
Price: 8,900 THB
Want to go further?
Advanced courses up to instructor level and specialised freedive training are available upon request.
Course Times & Location
• Theory and Pool Days
Start at 09:00 and end at approximately 17:00; they are held at the We Freedive centre in Chalong
• Open Water Days
Start at Chalong Longtail Pier (just minutes from the We Freedive centre), at 09:00 and end at approximately 13:30
• Written Exams
Are held at the We Freedive Centre, and are generally scheduled on the last day of the course, at a time convenient for all parties
- All basic freediving and snorkelling equipment
- AIDA certification fee (applicable for AIDA courses only, once all course requirements have been met)
- AIDA education materials (for AIDA courses only)
- Water, tea and coffee at the We freedive centre
- Snacks for open water training
- Pool entry fee
- Boat transfers
- Video material for dive analysis (please bring a USB drive to the course)
- Transfers to/from We Freedive Centre and Chalong Longtail Pier
- Water and soft drinks on boat trips
- Any additional training time outside of the stated training period
- Advanced freediving equipment, for example monofins, nose clips, fluid goggles, safety lanyards, etc.
- Beach towel
- Sun protection - sunglasses, suncream, hat
- Water or soft drinks for boat trips
- Your own equipment (if you have any) e.g. mask, snorkel, wetsuit, freedive fins
- Certifications are given according to the level achieved during the course
- Bookings are confirmed upon payment of a non-refundable deposit of 50% of the full fee. Any remaining balance is due at course registration
- Refunds for confirmed bookings will be issued at the discretion of We Freedive (Thailand) Co., Ltd.